There are many signs and symptoms of addiction. The following are main signs to look for:
- Tolerance. Do you use more alcohol or drugs over time?
- Withdrawal. Have you experienced physical or emotional withdrawal when you have stopped using? Have you experienced anxiety, irritability, shakes, sweats, nausea, or vomiting? Emotional withdrawal is just as significant as physical withdrawal.
- Limited control. Do you sometimes drink or use drugs more than you would like? Do you sometimes drink to get drunk? Does one drink lead to more drinks sometimes? Do you ever regret how much you used the day before?
- Negative consequences. Have you continued to use even though there have been negative consequences to your mood, self-esteem, health, job, or family?
- Neglected or postponed activities. Have you ever put off or reduced social, recreational, work, or household activities because of your use?
- Significant time or energy spent. Have you spent a significant amount of time obtaining, using, concealing, planning, or recovering from your use? Have you spent a lot of time thinking about using? Have you ever concealed or minimized your use? Have you ever thought of schemes to avoid getting caught?
- Desire to cut down. Have you sometimes thought about cutting down or controlling your use? Have you ever made unsuccessful attempts to cut down or control your use?
Regardless if you show only a few symptoms and signs or all of them, talk to your family physician or health care provider to get an adequate assessment.
If you feel like you are ready to address a substance use problem, or are concerned about a loved one’s signs and symptoms please call us.
Ottawa Maberly Addiction Rehabilitation Residence is an 8-bedroom residential addiction treatment facility for adults, specializing in chronic relapse cases.
305 Maberly Elphin Rd.
Staff on site 24/7: 613-200-HELP (4357)